What are lash extensions?
Let’s start by getting this out of the way, false eyelashes and eyelash extensions are not the same. Although they both enhance your eyes and the length of your eyelashes, they differ in many ways.
So, what are false eyelashes? Well, they are temporary and can be done at home by buying lashes at the store and are applied with temporary lash glue that you can buy here at KG Salon. Temporary lashes are not designed to be worn when showering, swimming and sleeping. If worn in water, the eyelashes will fall off a lot quicker, as the glue starts dissolving.
And Eyelash extensions? Eyelash extensions are waterproof and give the illusion mascara without the messy clumps and smudging of makeup. A single lash is applied to each natural lash. The bond is designed to last until the lashes naturally fall out, usually, 3 to 4 weeks new lash growth will need to be bonded, making lash extensions a regular monthly service if you would like to maintain the full look.
Extensions look natural and are weightless. It is only normal that you may forget that you are even wearing lash extensions. You need to wait for the lashes to set before doing any water activities or wetting them. After the first 48 hours, you can enjoy all water activities to the fullest!
The pros of having lash extensions
There are so many pros to having eyelash extensions, but the one that comes to the top of mind is the time you save in the morning not having to apply as much makeup. Instead of waking up earlier to apply makeup, you can hit the gym or sleep in!
Imagine a life without having to remove eye makeup? That is possible when having eyelash extensions. Your lashes look flawless all day long.
Saving on makeup costs has never been easier. We all know that mascara should be replaced every six months. That can become a costly affair, however, you no longer need to purchase tubes of mascara to volumise and lengthen your lashes, eyelash extension does that for you!
The look is easily maintainable. The first lash extension application can take up to 2 hours to apply, depending on the skill of your lash technician. After this, all you should do is maintain the look by getting fills, every 2 to 3 weeks. In addition to being less expensive, fills are less time-consuming; in about 30 minutes, you will leave the salon knowing that your lashes look as fabulous as you feel!
The cons of having eyelash extensions
There is only one con to having eyelash extensions, and that is that you will become addicted to them! But, is that really a con? I mean who want flawless lashes without having to apply any makeup? Finally, you can say, “I woke up like this!”
When your lashes have been removed, you will miss the way they accentuated your eyes. Fortunately, you won’t have to do without lashes for long. A quick call to KG Salons can have you lashed up in no time!
What should you do to maintain your lashes?
- To beat frizz, it’s suggested to sleep on a silk or satin pillowcase, and the same goes for lash extensions. The silk and satin cases are very gentle on the eyelashes and help to keep them less ruffled and more maintained.
- When swimming and showering, dry your lashes immediately. Try and avoid getting them wet for the first 48 hours of application.
- Instead of using cotton pads to remove any eye makeup, gently remove the makeup using a cleansing wipe. Cotton pads may get stuck on your lashes and they end up weakening the extensions over time.
- Try not to apply mascara to the lashes as mascara may cause breakage and shedding. Who needs Mascara when you have stunning volumized lashes anyway? The days of layering mascara, and potentially risking smudges and racoon eyes, are over.
- Use an old clean mascara brush to comb your eyelashes. Do not try and straighten them with your fingertips. They will fall out if you continuously touch them.
- Yes, lashes need to be dry, however, you should use oil to help them last longer. All you need is a drop of baby oil that you can apply on an old clean mascara brush to comb the lashes. The oil helps with the flexibility of the lashes.
- Apply an eyelash sealer every morning to keep your lashes in place for longer.
- Do not pull out the extensions. Not only will it be extremely painful, but you also risk removing your natural lashes which will leave you devastated.
Eyelash extension myths
- “Your natural eyelashes will fall out if you continue getting eyelash extensions.” This is false! Every lash extension is attached to a strand of hair. Both your natural and lash extensions will naturally fall out according to the growth cycle of your lashes.
- “It’s costly and doesn’t last very long.” The first application of eyelash extensions may be costly; however, the fills are inexpensive and they last very long. Eyelash extensions can last up to 4 weeks before you must fill them.
- “It doesn’t suit everyone.” Every lash extension experience is customised to suit your eye shape. You can choose the volume you want and the length of lashes that suit you best.
- “You cannot wear makeup with them.” False! Of course, you can apply eye makeup. Just make sure the makeup is oil free. Make sure to carefully remove the shadow or liner with oil-free makeup remover. Try and steer clear of mascara as it leaves the extensions crusty and damaged. But, if it is a must, don’t use waterproof mascara.
How to get rid of your eyelash extensions
The only way to get rid of your eyelash extensions is to have them professionally removed or allow them to fall out naturally.
It is painless and relatively quick to have your eyelash extensions removed. We have this service available for those of you who want to remove your lash extensions, however, the extensions fall out with the natural shedding of your lashes. This is, however, a much slower process.
We would DEFINITELY recommend eyelash extensions! Not only will it cut your makeup time in half, but you will look fabulous every day!
Go glam today and book to have your lashes done with our professional lash technicians today!